Thursday 25 April 2013


Beaumaris
tinkers & belles

I left behind my office desk and ventured out into the wilderness more commonly known as “outside” yesterday. This endeavour was intended to give me a little fresh air, introduce me to potential clients, and allow me to see that the sky is still blue and the grass is still green. That’s how often I go out these days as I’m so busy trying to build up business; you know what it’s like.

 Anyhow, I ventured out into the fresh air and decided that I would visit what has to be one of my favourite towns, Beaumaris. A small town full of quaint little shops, warm and inviting pubs and candy coloured houses, it’s flanked by a large castle complete with moat. It has to be one of the sweetest little towns in North Wales. What’s more important is that this town, unlike a lot of towns, is full of small local business struggling to survive a recession. The kind of local business we should all be supporting before we all end wind up living in another soulless town with a concrete shopping mall we’ve seen a million times before. The sort of shops where the owners remember your name and don’t have automatic email alerts that remember your name only because some stranger typed it in.
 
 

As I walked around casually taking in the scenery I ventured up a side street and accidentally fell upon what has to be one of the most delightful little shops for young children I’ve ever come across. It felt like I’d entered another world, and what really impressed me was that unlike one of those larger stores you find on industrial estates, the owner had clearly taken time to arrange everything in such a way that it made walking around it a real pleasure. Long eared cloth bunnies sitting prettily on brightly coloured shelves, long legged clowns peeking out from the side of a cupboard, rocking horses and books and sweet candy coloured petticoats all in a row. There were shelves of books and animal cars, stacks of brightly coloured clothes and knitted elephants. And what I absolutely loved were the animal shaped bicycle helmets. It made me want to be the mother of a small child again and I don’t say that often.
 
 
 
 
It made me reminisce about my own childhood; those bygone days when toys were toys and you were less likely to plonk the kids in front of the TV, and children were forced to use that mysterious thing they call “the imagination.”

 All in all a really delightful shop with a friendly and engaging owner, a shop that caters for young children and toddlers and is definitely worth a visit should you be passing, and the good news is that they have an online store with brands such as Bob and Blossom, Belle and Boo, Frugi, and Moi Kidz with free delivery all for orders over £30. www.tinkersandbelles.com

 



Gillian Jones is a full time freelance writer/copywriter.
Competitive rates: Web content/blogs/articles/marketing/SEO
White papers/reports/proofreading/CV Resumes/Brochures/Leaflets/Newsletters
www.taith.net/