Monday 28 January 2013

Can I really make it as a copywriter?

I've been a freelance writer/copywriter for 4 weeks on Thursday. Four whole weeks and I'm still slugging it out with various jobs here and there - but not really making a great deal of progress. They say it takes a good six months before things really start to take off, but I'm starting to doubt my own ability. There are a lot of people out there trying to do exactly what I'm doing, and some of them are a damn sight more experienced than I. I keep telling myself that this is the internet - the superhighway and that there's plenty of work out there for everyone, whatever your style, whatever your speciality, but I'm not always sure I believe that.

Going by past experience I'm not one of the most confident people (probably not particularly patient either), and I know this has the potential to hold me back, but I don't really see myself as one of those aggressive in-your-face individuals who convince themselves and everyone else around them that they are quite possibly the most amazing thing to walk into a room. I know they exist, you only have to read their bio or their blog to realise they are one of those people that walk a thin line between confidence and arrogance. I read their bios on the freelancers sites with trepidation, one profile/bio was a lengthy tract of how those charging less weren't worth the time and bother, and how she was clearly a far better bet. They usually go along the lines of "you don't want any cheapskate writing your copy, I am the bees knees, and I charge more because I'm worth it, I've been put on this earth to wipe aside the competition, and show you that I am everything you've ever wanted packaged in human form. Hire me and you'll never look back." I, on the otherhand, always approach things with a certain humility, I'm grateful to be considered for anything, it's a blessing not to be trapped inside an office all week, but is that enough? No of course not, I hear you cry, I need to up my game and get out there and show people what I'm made of.

I hear you, but part of me still remains a little hesitant - and I know what you're going to say next, if you can't sell then you can't do copy, well yes I can, but maybe it has to be done my way, even if it takes me longer to get there. The one thing I've noticed since I started this, is for all the in-yer-face people filling up web space, there are an awful lot of people out there who have a certain degree of gravitas about promoting themselves, a certain class, they don't go for the hard sell, but talk quietly and confidently about their capabilities. This is what I strive for, I know that perhaps these are the ones that have been in this business for years and don't need to shout at the top of their voices anymore, but can quietly articulate with ease and confidence about what they have to offer without obliterating the newbies. These are the people I seek advice from, these are the ones I'm not intimated by, the ones you know are probably exceptional at what they do. I emulate them, I want to be just like them 5 years from now - if I don't throw the towel in first.

Yes, I know I need to be a bit more confident and sell myself a little bit more, and hopefully in time this will improve as I acquire more work. Come back in 5 years and ask how I'm getting on - or just watch this space.