Monday 30 November 2015

I crave certainty in an uncertain world



Suffering from anxiety as I do, I often crave certainty. I don’t just crave it, I demand it. I want to feel safe, safe from the terrors of the unknown, for the unknown promises uncertainty, foreboding, darkness and potential misery.

If I am certain, then I am safe. If I am certain, then all will be well.

That is all I ask.

Not everyone is a fan of certainty, the physicist Carlo Rovelli believed that a complete lack of doubt was undesirable, and that certainty about everything had the potential to be damaging. 


Will I only acheive certainty by doing nothing?


But not to the anxious.

“Certainty is the death of wisdom, thought, creativity.”

Shekhar Kapur

Strangely, I have done things in my life that have brought me no certainty - single parenthood and self-employment, instead of the security of Mr Nice, a white picket fence and a secure job.

Perhaps deep down, I want risk and excitement but with the promise of a happy ending.

Sadly it doesn’t work that way.

“There is no certainty, there is only adventure.”

Roberto Assagioli

I want adventure but with a promise of certainty, but adventure cannot bring certainty, only risk.

But what is it David Bowie said in Law, Earthlings on Fire, “I don’t want knowledge, I want certainty.”

Except I would like both.

Perhaps I should follow Bertrand Russell’s advice and study philosophy.

“To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it.”
Bertrand Russell



To live without certainty and yet not be paralysed by hesitation.

So it is to finally accept uncertainty in my life and not be crippled by doubt or;

To have certainty in my life, but without the joy of risk and adventure.

It is a difficult choice.