Monday 4 November 2013

Twitter, Twitter, before I fall, who's the best seller of them all?

Twitter – friend or foe?

I’ve been using Twitter now for the best part of 4 years, long before I decided to become a copywriter. In that time I’ve been followed, unfollowed, made friends, unmade friends and even met some of them and formed long lasting friendships.

 I get sick of Twitter and threaten to abandon it on a monthly basis. However here I am, still here after all this time.

 It almost sounds like an excuse for a song – but sometimes I wonder, if you’re using Twitter to promote your business, how far should you go? I'm still learning and fearful of putting people off rather than turning them on to my talents.

  The keyboard is mightier than the written word

Have you read my book?.
 From the point of view of someone that follows other users who use Twitter to promote their work, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it can be a tad irritating when all you get is a constant stream of tweets with links and short phrases. Some writers are notorious for it. They never talk about themselves, they never seem to reach out to their audience, other than to try and sell you their latest book. If you send them a message they usually have so many followers they don’t have a clue who you are and your message gets ignored. This doesn’t make me want to buy their books; in fact it puts me right off. I say some, not all.

Another thing that I find particularly irritating is when someone is complimented on their work, regardless of what they do and they feel it’s their solemn duty to share  it with the rest of us, so we can see how wonderful they are and how wonderful their product is. So endless retweets then of how amazing Johnny Smith is and his first foray into science fiction.


I'm selling mirrors
Links, links and then more links

If someone follows me I usually check out their profile quickly, I’ll take a quick look at their bio and then at their tweets, if there’s nothing there other than a constant stream of links and they don’t seem to be saying anything else of interest then it’s unlikely I’ll  follow right away. I’ll leave it for a few days and then maybe I’ll ask them something, if they can’t be bothered to reply and this happens more than a few times, then I definitely won’t be following them – and that’s bad news if they want to sell me something in the future. I especially hate it when someone fills my timeline all at once with endless plugs. That’s why I’m reluctant to over promote myself or my blog - no matter how much I want people to read it, I don’t want to alienate people.

Personality – let it shine

 I did buy one book from someone on Twitter once who actually gave some hint of a personality, giving away little snippets of what she liked and disliked and what she gets up to, not an autobiography mind, in forty characters that’s impossible, but just enough to make her seem interesting, so interesting I wanted to read one of her books. It made her seem human. And she still carried on following me after I bought it. And I say this with good reason; another follower of mine bought a book from someone only to be unfollowed by them after the purchase!

 How much is too much?

 If you want to promote yourself on Twitter – should you try and interact with your followers, or just go for the hard sell? I think a combination of the two with a bit of soft sell, maybe a bit of subliminal selling. You have to be clever to do that and it’s not something I’ve quite mastered yet. It helps if you try to connect with people. I’m not suggesting you have great meaningful conversations on philosophy, far from it, who has the time for that? But if you give the impression you have time for people, that you’re warm blooded, that you give a s**t, it makes all the difference in the world to those that follow you - especially if you want them to buy something from you somewhere down the line.

Striking a balance

But when is talking about yourself too much, how do you really strike a balance between making yourself seem interesting and not over marketing yourself? How you come across as interesting and warm and not vain and self-glorious? It's a difficult balance because all social media platforms are about narcissism to a certain degree, it's all about the self. If you come across as warm, human, giving a little away about yourself and show interest in others then a balance can be achieved.

 You are not a robot.

 Be human, be real and connect with your followers, because they could be your future clients or customers in the future.  If they see you as a real person and you come across as being approachable then they might ask you something, something that may lead to further enquiries about what you do, your services and who knows, perhaps a purchase or a recommendation.

 And no that hasn’t happened to me yet on Twitter, but I’d be interested to know what others experience of self-promotion on Twitter has been, have you had success? Has it led to further clients/customers? Do Americans have it covered; are they better at self-promotion than the Brits? Should we take a lesson from them, or steer well clear?

Tell me what you think.


I love you!

 

Gillian Jones is a copywriter and freelance writer. If you want to make use of her services, contact her on pandora.77@hotmail.co.uk    and find her website here www.taith.net