Wednesday 29 October 2014

I'm having a bad day, a "Why am I doing this day?" which I've decided to wallow in. That may seem counterproductive - after all self pity can be such a destructive force.

However, I do believe that when things don't seem to be going your way, a regrouping, a regathering of arms and a period of reflection can do the power of good - as long as you don't spend too much time there.
I'm using this time to reevaluate my situation, what I could have done better, how I can do it better in the future. 

It's a time I'll use to blog, market and analyse the current state of play. I know that if I allow myself to go too far down the rabbit hole, I may not come up again, but if I use the time wisely, I may come out just that tiny bit more clearer on what my objectives should be.

I'll read, look for hints and clues, while I sort out current work in my timeline. I'll make myself a coffee, prepare a light lunch and, essentially, be kind to myself. I'll check my diary, my projects for the next few days or weeks and try to relax. Give myself an internal pep talk.

I need to reexamine my past work patterns. How much work am I doing, am I putting the hours in, is the quality of my work good enough - and if so, then how can I get even better?

Good is never enough, in order to succeed, I have to feel that I've given 110% and if that isn't bringing in the pennies, then what am I doing wrong - is it the marketing, does that need some revaluation?

I spent a short period of time as a teacher - and the emphasis was always on evaluation, think about what you'd done during lessons, what had gone well, what hadn't and how you could improve. How could you have done it even better? It was hard, but it really set a standard for me in terms of evaluating my work today.

And now I'm ready, to fight on, to write, to work, to get my act together. I'm battle ready and my armour is still intact.

So what do you do when you're having a "Why am I doing this day."?

Shut yourself away in a darkened room?

Carry on going, or do you do what I do, stop, regroup, reassemble and reevaluate?