Sunday 3 May 2015

Far from the madding crowd...

You know that feeling when you're all out of inspiration and energy and all you really want is to disappear for a while, to a place where no one can find you ? You feel the solution is a break, a week away. A place somewhere in the sun where you can recharge your batteries and indulge yourself in some serious relaxation. Admire the view and adjust your mind, your imagination and your eyes, to a different skyline and a more interesting landscape.



Thing is, I already live in a place like that. I have the sea, sun, sand, boats, mountains and lush grassland at my disposal. And when you live somewhere like that – where do you go on holiday? 

A different landscape

I get up from my desk and I go on a “jolly,” there’s always new places to explore, new restaurants to eat, and, a few little shops tucked away that I haven't seen before.

I only have to travel, say 20 miles further  up the coast, and although none of it’s new, I often see it with different eyes. It's like looking at a detailed painting, there's always something I missed the first time round, always something new and different, something worthy of further exploration.



I spend so much time in ‘my office,’ that leaving the house is rare, there's always so much to do. So if I feel it's getting too much, then the sea, mountains, and picture postcard scenery of another town or village a few miles up the road is the answer.

I'm lucky to live where I do, there's always somewhere I can sit undisturbed. Somewhere I can sit and ask myself what the hell am I doing, and allow my question to be answered. 



I was in many forms
before I became free..."

Battle of the Trees.  Taliesin 

Take me somewhere different

My solution this time was to travel a few miles up the coast and stay with friends opposite a public footpath leading to a mountain complete with ruined  castle. Then in the local village, cross the road and sit and enjoy the view of the Conwy Estuary with a liberal selection of boats sitting nicely on mirror clear water. From there I sat and threw a few pebbles and watched them skim the water, then watch the speed boats and small yachts go by.



Opposite there were a few shops and restaurants, some more expensive than others, one offering a select gaming menu, situated in a 3 to 4 story white washed house, then one or two small tea rooms serving cakes and tea in perfectly painted china. That day we settled on a small restaurant “The Olive Grove”  serving simple vegetarian and meat dishes with local and organic produce. They served  tea in perfectly painted china too - sweet little ivy strands winding themselves round the cup and saucer, the gold rim preventing the ivy from escaping on to the rustic  wooden table.



The Vardre

Later in the afternoon a leisurely stroll up Deganwy mountain to the ruins of an old castle with lush green, craggy mountain tops and the sea visible in the distance, a firm grey smoky line, a reminder of my childhood past. The sea was always quietly staring back at me as I tried to fathom it out. I could never work out its secrets.



A different mindset

I am satiated now, and  throw in long leisurely chats, glasses of chilled rosé and a few home cooked meals that I didn't have to make myself and I am refreshed and reborn, recovered enough to face another day.



If you're not local, I highly recommend the area for refreshing your mind and body, there are some beautiful places to see here in North Wales  rugged areas of exploration that, although you know that someone's been there before, always makes you feel like you're visiting it for the first time.



"Conjure up majestic trees
in great numbers
and resist the mob".


Battle of the Trees Taliesin







Never allow yourself to feel we're just too far away, we're just north of your border, close to the sea, craggy mountains waiting to envelope you, and dotted here and there, a few goats, sheep and the odd farmhouse. But you don't have to be alone, there are seaside towns and Victorian boarding houses with the sweetest tea rooms you're likely to come across. 

Plan your escape now.