Monday 4 May 2015

Rest, relax and breathe

It's that time of year where you go through what you hope will be quiet period, to be shortly followed by another rush. It'll be similar to the rush that's gone before, where you're wishing things would slow down a bit. Then the slow bit arrives and you're suddenly asking yourself when it'll get busy again because you're bored. You know what it's like. You can never really appreciate where you are on the hamster wheel, you have to be constantly thinking where else you should be.

And no matter how much you try and kid yourself with self-employment, everyone's on a hamster wheel - only difference is you get to choose how fast or slow you go round.



But for tomorrow at least, it's going to be different, it's going to be restful, a time to collect my thoughts, a spot of marketing, tidying up and  some appreciation of being in the moment, rather than focussing on what will happen tomorrow.

There'll be a review of the first 4 months of the year and the tidying up of loose ends, invoice checking and counting of figures. An assessment and review of the general picture of things. A setting of scenes, a focus on details.

And after that...



I have promised myself during this quiet period that I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. I'm not going to be rushing to the next job, I will endeavour to savour the moment, meditate, do some yoga.........

Oh puleeeese...




That really isn't going to happen is it? I'll last until Wednesday and then I'll start pounding the walls screaming, and then as I get stuck in again with another round of work and clients, I'll be complaining about how I never get a holiday. 

I detest yoga and meditation leads to boredom followed by sleep. Give me a set of weights and a pair of running shoes any day. Running is my meditation. 

We can't change what we are...but we can try to work with what we've got.