Wednesday 6 May 2015

Part I: A woman gradually and inexplicably becomes a computer geek.....the beginning

I spent the last hour of my working day messing around with my desktop, a refurbished PC with Windows 7. I already have a laptop with Windows 8.1 and after endless crashes and bug fixes, plus the age of my laptop, I bought a new one. Thing is I really thought that Windows 7 would be the answer to all my prayers, because apparently everyone is sick of Windows 8 and can't wait for Windows 10, me included, that's if they haven't already downgraded to 7.

Roll on Windows 10.

Actually, you can't downgrade to Windows 7, hence the new PC. I bought a refurbished PC because I can't afford a brand spanking new one, and I also really like the idea of buying a basic desktop and customizing it myself. Adding things and taking things away. I must admit I'm really starting to enjoy this.

I had problems with Google Chrome and I couldn't upgrade, I ended up with some mishmash of Bing and internet explorer that basically couldn't even play the odd video without crashing, and for some inexplicable reason wouldn't even let me open up FB. I've now spent the best part of an hour tinkering around with it and I've done the following:-


  • Upgraded Google Chrome (thank god, couldn't even open my Google + account)
  • Uploaded Windows 8.1 upgrade assistant to see if I can upgrade on here, (having Win 7 not a good idea - you can never go back) 
  • I can't upgrade on Windows 8.1 on here unless I pay £99 even though I have it already on my laptop - so poo to that
  • I downloaded Microsoft Silverlight (at one point stone age Microsoft Security Essentials wouldn't let me download anything).
I then spent an hour hunched over Netflix watching episode 4 of DareDevil, with no interruptions, no crashes. Bliss 


I'm having a few ups and downs with this pc at the moment, these are the ones I've sorted:-
  • Google Chrome wouldn't upgrade and this morning wouldn't even load (sorted)
  • System Restore wouldn't' work so I could restore Microsoft Security Essentials back to full working capacity, because it was telling me that the virus software part of it was out of date. 
System Restore wasn't working, then I got it to work, then it wasn't working again this morning. Anyway, I don't need it right now anyway, and if I do, then I'll do whatever it was I did last time to get it to work again (whatever that was). 

Microsoft Security Essentials is as up to date as it'll ever be and most importantly now, it's working.

As we speak I'm working on the latest Google Chrome and that means I can perhaps successfully download stuff I need in the future e.g. I prefer AVG to M.Security Essentials. 

Anyway, I think I deserve a drink and something to eat now. I really feel that I could really get into this.....big time. 

I've already learned how to remove and install a hard drive. I can upgrade stuff, and basically I'm getting hold of the basics I need to progress. 
Gamer Girl by Mashi by SRSobotka ...


My ambition -

To turn my computer into one mother-of all-computers with a massive screen and a powerful hard drive. 

I'd love to learn gaming and start designing, but that is WAY into the future right now.

I have 300GB of space and 4GB of RAM. It's a start. 

A personalised, fully customized PC that's got me stamped all over it, and full of tricks and games (some I even created myself). It's something to aim for and it's an ambition.

Apart from another ambition which is to study art history with the OU, and I've already registered for that, just need to find £850. 

Oh, and go caving or mountain climbing before I'm REALLY old.

Thing is, as sad as it sounds, I could quite happily stay on my computer all day and all night, when it's doing exactly what I want. Sad but true.

When I'm not obsessing about my computer, I work as a freelance copywriter, so do feel free to get in touch if you'd like me to write for you. 

pandora.77@hotmail.co.uk  

www.taith.net