Monday 22 July 2013

Twitter


I’m slightly off Twitter at the moment; nothing particularly awful has happened, but I seem to be getting myself into some awkward situations with people and I need to re-evaluate what it is I’m doing wrong.

 I'm clearly sending out signals that are being misread. Signals that seem to be giving members of the opposite sex reason to think I’m up for it or that somewhere down the line, they’re going to meet up with me and I’m going to tell them everything there is to know about me.

 I am not going to do that.

Perhaps I’m too open, too friendly. However, I’m never overly sexual as some are on Twitter, I’m shy about such things and I never (as far as I’m aware) become overly intimate. I never give too much away about myself, but eventually at some point I’m under a certain degree of scrutiny, not all, but by some. Who am I? Where do I live? What do I REALLY look like? Hints as to how old I am, am I married, alone?

 Are men put under such scrutiny?

 I don’t feel safe, I feel insecure. I worry that someone’s going to turn up on my doorstep. I would never dream of dating anyone I speak to on Twitter, if married couples can never know each other after 30 years of marriage, how am I expected to really know who I’m getting intimate with on Twitter?
 
I hear of women dating people they’ve never met or seen on Twitter or Facebook and I’m filled with horror, how do they know what they’re dealing with, that the person on the other end of the screen isn’t some unbalanced stalker, or someone who’s going to come round and turn up unannounced and murder them in their beds….

 Alright that last one was a little melodramatic. But you see what I  mean…

 Am I the only one who feels this way?

 Is Twitter really as unsafe as I feel it is for me at the moment or am I over reacting? What safeguards can I set up for myself without seeming unfriendly or unsociable?

 If there are any women out there who’ve had similar experiences to me then please let me know. I’d be interested to know if I’m the only woman that feels like this.